We’ve all experienced it more than once.
There we are, facing the situation on the board and are unsure about what to do. So what next?
Even though I’ve only been playing for six years now, I think I have experienced the situation often enough to answer this question. There is no general answer as it depends on the score, your skills and your confidence in those.
First of all, you have to evaluate the situation. Stay calm and unaffected. (I know it’s hard.) Analyze the board and consider your possibilities. In 90% of all cases, your first instinct is the best option. However, you have to be careful not overestimate yourself.
Only do shots you know will work and never just do “something,” because that will not work.
Think out what you want to do. Don’t be afraid to take your time, even if it might take a couple minutes. No need to panic!
– Analyze the board and the score.
– Accept the situation and don’t think about previous shots. – Take your time.
– Listen to your first instinct.
– If you think this option is too hard, take the easier shot.
– Go with your decision.
– Be focused while making your shot.